Phone: 401-284-1984
Fax: 1-877-900-2819
Click here to email us.

Q.Should I purchase renters insurance?
A. If you live in an apartment or a rented house, you should consider purchasing renters insurance. This insurance provides coverage for both you and your possessions. A standard renters policy protects your personal property in many cases of theft or damage and may pay for temporary living expenses if your rental space is damaged. It can also shield you from personal liability.

Q.How is my personal property protected under a renters policy?
A. A renters policy provides named perils coverage. This means that the policy only pays when your property is damaged or destroyed by any of the ways specifically described in the policy. These usually include:
Fire or lightning
Windstorm or hail
Vandalism or malicious mischief
Falling objects
Weight of ice, snow, or sleet
Accidental discharge or overflow of water or steam
Sudden and accidental damage from artificially generated electrical current
Volcanic eruptions (but this doesn’t include earthquake or tremors)

Similar in this way to homeowners insurance, renters coverage applies to your personal property no matter where you are in the world. This means you’re covered when you are on vacation as well as at home.

Q.Why is renters insurance required of tenants by some apartment complexes?
A. While owners of apartment complexes buy insurance policies for their liability and to cover their buildings and personal property, these policies do not cover any of the tenant’s property or liability. By requiring tenants to have renters insurance, the apartment owner is assured that the tenants will not mistakenly believe the apartment complex owner’s policy will provide coverage for a tenant’s property or personal liability. This type of requirement actually benefits both the apartment complex owner and the renter. Ford Insurance Agency recommends purchasing renters insurance whether your landlord requires it or not.
Q. If I share my apartment with a roommate, do we both need to have renters insurance?
A. Standard renter’s policies cover only you and relatives that live with you. If your roommate is not a relative, each of you will need your own renter’s policy to cover your own property and to provide you liability coverage for your own actions.

Home | About Us | Our Services | Home Quote | Auto Quote | Commercial Quote | How Can We Help You?
Client Testimonials | Claims Information | View Our Affiliates | Refer A Friend | Contact Us

©2009 All rights reserved. Ford Insurance Agency.